Kenyans produced superlative performance at the penultimate day of The 2020 Tokyo Olympics.
Twice World half marathon champion, Peres Jepchirchir and Marathon record holder, Brigid Kosgei rule the street of Sapporo, the capital city of Japanese Island of Hakkaido.
The duo punctuated the Olympic marathon with Gold and silver. Another Kenyan in the race, Ruth Chepngetich, the reigning world marathon champion bowed out of the race.
In her maiden appearance in Olympics Molly Seidel of the US didn't dissapoint, she close the podium with a Bronze medal.
Back in Kenya fans had to brace for the late night vigils, in order to watch their heroes. Finally It paid off as medals started trickling in, a day after the country bags another Gold medal in women's 1500m.
Their neighbours in Ethiopia, however, were not lucky after their athletes missed the podium. Dereje Bekele took forth missing the medal narrowly.
Tokyo Olmpics marathon results:
- Peres Jepchirchir (KEN) 2:27:20
- Brigid Kosgei (KEN) 2:27 :36
- Molly Seidel (USA) 2:27:46
- Dereje Bekele. (ETH) 2:28:38
- Mazuronak Volha (BLR) 2:29:06
- Kejeta Melat (GER) 2:29:16
- Eunice Chumba (BRN) 2:29:36
- Ichiyama Mao (JPN) 2:30:13
- Elmore Malindi (CAN) 2:30:59
- Diver Sinead (AUS) 2:31:14